Monday, September 28, 2015

The supermoon eclipse from Southeast Michigan.

I was a little toddler when the last supermoon lunar eclipse occurred in 1982, so I have no recollection of it.  According to astronomers, the next one won't happen until 2033!  That's exactly why I made sure to see it in all it's glory last night.

Click on image for high-resolution

And it was super cool!

The color slowly turned from pale-gray to red as the earth squeezed between our moon and the sun, casting a shadow on the moon.  And by "squeezed", I mean the moon was only a mere 225,000 miles away from our planet!

Click on image for high-resolution

Living close to the city, I wasn't sure how well the moon would show up on my Nikon D800.  To get as many details as possible, I used a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII lens and mounted it onto a tripod.  This allowed me to shoot at ISO 200 and stabilize any shake from the extra-long exposures.

Click on image for high-resolution

Click on image for high-resolution

Looking back, I wish I would have taken a photo every 5 minutes for an hour to capture it going through the eclipse from one end of the horizon to the other.  I guess I'll just have to wait until 2033.

Until then...

Click on image for high-resolution

...run-of-the-mill, boring old moon pics like this one from last year ;)
Powered by Blogger | Copyright 2008-2016 Matthew Stenzel