Thursday, May 15, 2014

Brynn.

First off, I want to say that I love these images!  Secondly, I have to admit that I was slightly apprehensive about scheduling a newborn session so late in the day with an older newborn- mostly because I've never done it before. All-in-all, the experience (and session) ended up giving beautiful images of an adorable baby girl and I'm a happy photographer.

For the record, Brynnie the Pooh (lovingly coined by her mom), made proofing a breeze with her smooth skin and perfectly-tiny features. Taking photos of her, however, was another story! At 21 days old, she was the oldest newborn I've ever photographed and much more alert than a new-newborn.  She was less tolerable to certain positions and also had the appetite of a teenage boy so there were frequent breaks to keep her satisfied. Mom handled it great and the snoring from her Dad gave the right amount of white noise to help keep her comforted during the session.

Another "first" for me as a newborn photographer, besides her age, was the lighting I used.  Because we started at 7:30 pm, I used an off-camera flash setup with 2 umbrellas and Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS).  I've used flashes several times before but never for a whole newborn session. I always found myself slipping into the comfort zone of natural light as a safe way to get correctly exposed images. Well, not this time and I have to admit- I nailed it! For me, not being able to tell that the newborn was lit by flashes is a good sign of proper lighting.

Oh, and I have one final note about this session: The bassinet shown in two of the images is a family heirloom passed on from 3 generations! The hat, blanket and sheets were all sewn and knit by Brynn's grandmother and great-grandmother just for her. How cool is that? I love seeing homemade things made by creative and talented people.




All images taken with a Nikon D800 and Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G lens and a Nikon D600 with a Nikon 60mm f/2.8G Micro lens. Nikon's CLS system was also used with 2 SB-900s reflected into umbrellas and the SU-800 commander unit.
Powered by Blogger | Copyright 2008-2016 Matthew Stenzel