Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A sewing table for Haley.

After finally completing a workbench for the garage, my first official project was to build a simple sewing table for Haley.  Not sure how I wanted to build the table or how to make one simple, stable yet beautiful, I resorted to looking at images online for ideas.  I found this particular table and thought it was the perfect design and met all of my objectives.  I especially loved the fact that the table was made from reclaimed wood.


With the design locked-in, I drafted a few simple drawings for measurements before moving on to the actual build.

Since my experience with woodworking is fairly limited, I used simple joinery-  16 dowels, 6 screws and lots of wood glue.  The whole table is made of Aspen wood (that's all my local home improvement store has that's actually straight enough to use without costing a fortune).  The legs of the table are two 1x3 pieces glued face-to-face and the rest of the stretchers are 1x3.  The table top is premade with Aspen planks glued, side-by-side, and sanded to a flat surface.  The color and protective coating is Minwax Red Oak stain and Minwax Semi-Gloss polyurethane.

This project took an estimated 12-14 hours from the first cut until the last coat.  The wood, screws, glue and dowels were just shy of $90 and everything was purchased locally.  It was a fun and easy build and I'm really happy with the results.


Images taken with the Fuji X-Pro1 and Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 lens.
Powered by Blogger | Copyright 2008-2016 Matthew Stenzel