Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Fun with my new Fujifilm Instax 210 camera!

My wife knows how much of a camera junky I am so it didn't surprise her when she saw the Fujifilm Instax 210 on my Christmas wish-list.  I snapped a few candid photos on Christmas day, but haven't taken more than a package of photos with it so far- I'm still an Instax Noob.  With the time I have spent using it, here are some first impressions:

1. It's HUGE and bubbly.  I mean,  it's as big as a Nikon D700 with the optional grip.  It honestly looks like a compact camera that was sprinkled with bread yeast and baked at 350 degrees.  It covers my whole face when I have the viewfinder up to my eye and Haley laughs at me to boot.

2. It's made in China.  Fit and finish on this camera tells me one thing: this is a toy and nothing more. Plus it requires 4 AA batteries... C'mon!

3. The settings are very limited.  If you don't want the flash to fire- too bad unless you're outside where there is adequate light.  There's no way of turning the flash off.  You have two different focusing lengths (.9-3m and 3m-infinity) and three exposure settings (light, normal and dark).  It might sound like I'm complaining, but the simplicity, believe it or not, is actually kinda cool.

4. The viewfinder is way off when composing a shot at close distances.  To frame the shot properly, the user has to adjust for parallax.

5. The photos develop fairly quickly.  Within a couple of minutes you'll see a decent image and by 5 minutes, it's looking pretty damn good with decent contrast and color rendition.

6.  It's fun!  I mean, the instant gratification of seeing a photo on physical medium is almost magical.  There's nothing quite like a photo being ejected by your camera right after the shot. The vintage qualities in a more modern body will be a lot of fun to use for portraits or personal work.



Winter storm Euclid dropping 6 inches of snow.


Poor Haley- just another victim of parallax.

The very first photo I took- whoa overexposed!

Just seeing what happens if I cover the flash- nope too dark! 


Powered by Blogger | Copyright 2008-2016 Matthew Stenzel