Thursday, February 18, 2010

Self interview, part 3.


Q: With Spring and Summer approaching, what are some things you are looking forward to?

A: The only way I can answer this question is without breathing, here it goes... warm weather, riding my motorcycle, lots of weddings, not wearing a jacket, taking the top off my Wrangler, barbecuing, playing with our lab in the backyard, summer parties, green trees and grass, open windows and fresh air, taking walks with Haley, getting rid of my Michigan mayonnaise tan, vacations, swimming, getting another nephew (or niece), bonfires, and softball! Pant, pant, pant...


Q: What's your favorite ice cream?
A: Double superman in a waffle cone please.

Q: What are the top-ten played artists in your iTunes library?
A: Here they are in order of appearance; Ray Lamontagne; Damien Rice; Ben Harper; Cat Stevens; Dave Matthews; Counting Crows; Pearl Jam; Radiohead; The Beatles.

Q: Regarding photography, how does your personality change when you look through the camera?

A: I love to use humor to lighten the mood and capture the special things that happen in between the smiles. After my photo shoots, I always get the "Wow, that was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be!" or "I hate getting photographs taken but that was great." Getting someone to laugh, then capturing that exact instant, is priceless.

I bet you can remember getting your picture taken at some point in your life and the photographer didn't say a word. He/she grabbed your hands and unnaturally posed them, tilted your head so it looks like you have osteoporosis and said "Cheeeeeese". How awkward is that? Not only is it uncomfortable for you during the shoot, it almost always shows in your photos. Having a good personality goes a long way as a photographer.

Photographs just turn out better when everyone is having fun. It's plain and simple!

(Allison and Jerry, 2009)

(Matt and Amber, 2009)
(Lindsay and Travis, 2009)

Q: How do you feel about digital manipulation and to what extent do you utilize it?
A: I was just asked this during a recent meeting with a potential client. They wanted to know how much of my photography is photoshopped, and how much is the actual image. Although I use Adobe Photoshop from time-to-time, most of my editing is done in Adobe Lightroom. Basic adjustments such as exposure, contrast, sharpness, saturation and cropping are done inside Lightroom. 95% of my photos don't even see Photoshop. I only digitally manipulate a photo under certain circumstances. These would be if a client asks for it, if the photo has something that's distracting to the viewer (i.e. awkward telephone pole, obnoxious gum wrapper on the ground, fly-away hairs, lint on shirts), or if I need to resize the photograph for larger prints. If someone is bending or looking a certain way, sometimes there might be a roll or double chin. In those instances, I'll edit the photo to make them look more natural. In the end, it's all about making the client happy.

Q: What has been the single biggest obstacle against growing as a photographer in whole?
A: Time. Along with being a photographer, I'm also a full-time emergency nurse. While I love being a nurse and helping others in need, I'm not passionate about it like photography. 2010 is a pivotal year for my business, as I hope to make the jump into working full-time as a wedding and lifestyle photographer. With this year already starting off on the right foot, I'm shooting for the stars.
Powered by Blogger | Copyright 2008-2016 Matthew Stenzel